With so many different contraceptive options available these days, it can be hard to know which one will suit you best. At Doctors360 we can discuss the different options available to find the right one for you.
We also offer all forms of contraception onsite at our clinic including the pill and ‘mini-pill’, depo provera injections, and insertion of intrauterine devices (IUDs) such as the mirena and copper IUD and Jadelle ‘the rod” implant.
What contraceptive options are available?
Pills – there are two different types of pills available – the combined pill (progestogen and oestrogen) or the mini-pill (progestogen-only). Both need to be taken every day and both provide approximately 91% effectiveness at preventing pregnancy.
The depo provera injection is a three-monthly progestogen injection which provides approximately 97% effectiveness against unwanted pregnancy.
LARCs ( mirena, IUD, jadelle )
LARCs (long-acting reversible contraceptives) are all more than 99% effective at preventing unwanted pregnancy.
- The mirena is a small T-shaped plastic IUD with progestogen in it which is inserted into the uterus and provides 5 years of contraception.
- The copper IUD (CuTT380) is a non-hormonal IUD which provides up to 10 years of contraception.
- The jadelle is two small progestogen-containing rods which are inserted under the skin of your inner arm and provide contraception for up to 5 years.
Services we provide
Doctor360's services include:
- Contraceptive advice consultation to determine and organise most appropriate contraceptive option for your needs.
- Jadelle insertion and removal: The ‘rod’ is 2 small rubber implants inserted below the skin in the arm which provides long term reliable contraception for up to 5 years.
- IUD insertion and removal: There are several different IUDs now available for long-term contraception, with the two most popular options being the mirena and copper IUD. Insertion requires a 45 minute appointment.
- Depo provera injections.